It was in 1993 when the Department of Science and Technology contracted ComNet (Computer Systems Corporation) to setup a wide-area network(WAN) that would connect various local universities and research organizations to the Internet. Commercial insights on the success of this project eventually gave rise to Mozcom, "The first commercial Internet Service Provider in the Philippines."
Established by Dr. Willy N. Gan and Dr. William T. Torres, Mozcom came to be the first ISP to have offered different levels of connectivity, serving both corporate and individual users thereby making more Filipinos experience being connected with the rest of the world. The Philippines' first leased line connection to the Internet officially became "online" on March 29,1994.
- Mozcom was established in 1994 , making it the Philippines' 1st full service commercial ISP
- First nationwide coverage was achieved in July 1997 with dialup access points in all regions
- First international roaming was established in 1998 through the partnership with iPass
- The First DSL service in the country was offered in Mozcom Bagio as early as November 1998
- First t3 satellite link in the Philippines running pure IP traffic direct from PanAmSat in California on September 1999, with a redundant satellite link from Loral-Cuberstar from Honolulu
- First Akamai-accelerated(TM) ISP in the Philippines in February 2001
- First local ISP to deploy dial-up acceleration in 2004 through partnership with Propel Software
As Internet usage in the country becomes more widely accepted, Mozcom continues to find value in creating new products and services that are geared towards sustaining business and supporting fast-paced lifestyles. Backed by highly-competent technical support and sales staff who are certified by Cisco, Microsoft and EC-Council, clients can be reassured that their needs are understood and met. Today, Mozcom is expanding to provide total business solutions specializing in open source, XML, Web Services, mobile, e-commerce, biometrics, smart cards and RFID technology.